Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mini Mani Review: Rainbow Honey "Petit Four"

Another day off, another polish job... this time, it's Rainbow Honey's "Petit Four" from the May Mystery Bag. Of the three polishes included in the bag, this was the only one I was sure I'd love. I really like the look of these "milky" polishes, how the layers of glitter create depth in them, and I love happy yellow shades, so I was pre-sold on this creamy yellow color with pink, red, and teal matte glitter bits.

It's like candy on my nails... only, y'know, not edible.
I apologize for the photo... I found this polish extremely hard to photograph! Bright indoor light, outdoor sunlight, I tried it all... most attempts at photographing it washed the yellow out and made it look pretty flat. This shot, indirect light from a window, is the closest approximation I could get. If I'm going to stick with this, I guess I'll have to come up with a light box or some sort of better set-up for these shots. (Maybe once I know I've got enough readers to make the expense and effort worthwhile... hint hint, clue clue, please drop me a comment if you stop by so I know I'm not just typing to myself!)

My one complaint about this polish is that I found it clumpy and hard to work with. In all fairness, I am pretty new to the realm of indie glitters like this, so I don't know how much of this is due to my noob status. I've heard that there can be a bit of a learning curve in terms of working with these types of polishes, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, and I could see myself buying it in the future if Rainbow Honey does end up adding it to their line-up. Anyway... the yellow was kind of sheer, and took three coats to build to opacity; I think next time I might try it with a yellow base so it doesn't have to be built up quite so thickly. A healthy helping of Seche Vite top coat, and it was good to go. Despite the application woes, I'm enjoying this one... can't stop admiring my nails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...